Chiesa Nuova - ASSISI
The Sanctuary was built on the site of the family home of St. Francis. The religious community began their service in the church in 1615. The church is dedicated to the conversion of the Little Poor Man of Assisi (St. Franciscus conversus): in fact, in the church there is a nook under a staircase in which Peter Bernardone locked up his son after he ran away to Foligno to sell fabrics to use the money to repair the church of San Damiano. One can also visit the shop area where young Francis worked with his Father as a cloth merchant. The stained glass windows were done by Fr. Alberto Farina ofm (1975).
In the small square in front of the church there are two statues of St. Francis’ parents by the sculptor Joppolo. The parents are commemorated on the second Sunday of September every year on the “Feast of the Family of Francis”.
There is an important Franciscan Historical Library in the convent of Chiesa Nuova. It has many manuscripts (miniated manuscripts, papal bulls, chronicles), incunabula and “cinquecentine”. There is also a small Museum of Franciscan objects located in what was the home of the Assisi painter Tiberio Diotallevi (1470-1524).
The Fraternity that lives alongside provides pastoral and liturgical services and meets visitors of the Sanctuary. In addition, they provide the chaplaincy service for the Poor Clares of the Convent of S. Quirico.
TO REACH US